Homemade Ricotta Cheese
After attending the Maine Cheese Fest recently, we are convinced that we need to make our own cheese. We started with the easiest and fastest - ricotta. This is so simple and delicious!
Homemade Ricotta Cheesetime: 45 minutes
yield: 2 cups
- 8 cups whole milk (not ultra-pasteurized)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Combine milk, heavy cream, and salt in a medium pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 180 degrees (we used a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes (curds should be formed when it is done sitting).
- Strain through double-layered cheesecloth placed over a colander.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes over the colander to cool, then squeeze out any remaining moisture.
- Remove curds from cheese cloth and enjoy!
Note: our cheese cloth rinsed clean fairly easily, so it is reusable. Just rinse it immediately after straining your cheese, and hang it to dry.