Lentil Latkes with Sriracha Mayo
Is this a healthy lunch? We really want to know. These patties are filled with lentils, which are loaded with fiber and protein. Healthy, right? Plus onions and carrots, also rich in nutrients. Also, lots of shredded potatoes...hmmm, those are a bit iffy in terms of healthiness. Wait, then we fried them in oil...and dipped them in mayo. Does all of that negate the healthfulness of the lentils? Lets go with no. Just go ahead and make these and tell yourself you had a plate of healthy legumes for lunch. Don't think about the fact that you fry them up in oil making them oh-so-crispy and delicious, and then you slather them with spicy, sriracha mayo. Just enjoy this nutrient-rich lunch that you made for yourself.
Lentil Latkes with Sriracha Mayoservings: 24 latkes
time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup lentils, soaked and drained (we used green, but you could use any type of lentil)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 raw potatoes, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch salt and pepper
- Mix all latke ingredients in large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Measure out mixture into 1 1/2 Tbsp patties.
- Heat oil over medium heat on large skillet surface.
- Cook patties for about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crisp. Remove the patties to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Meanwhile, mix all mayo ingredients in a small bowl.
- Dip your latkes in your mayo, or spread mayo on top of each latke, and enjoy!
Ok, they don't look very appealing raw.
But look at them once they get golden brown and crispy!
These were so good! And we really loved the sriracha mayo dipping sauce, too.Yum