Flaky pastry + fluffy cream filling = dessert heaven. One of our child taste-testers gave these "1,800 thumbs up." Enough said, right?
The chocolate and sprinkle dip steps are optional, but chocolate and sprinkles are never a mistake.
Creme Hornstime: 1 1/2 hours (less time if you have more molds than we had!)
servings: 24 creme horns
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp shortening
- chocolate and rainbow sprinkles, for dipping
- creme horn molds (we use these: http://a.co/f5KlbqM)
- piping bags and tips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Roll puff pastry sheets out to 12"x16".
- Cut pastry into 1" wide strips that are 12" long.
- Wrap each strip around a creme horn mold, being sure to overlap on each round. Place remaining strips in the fridge until they are ready to wrap and bake.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- Carefully remove from molds and place on cooking rack until cooled completely.
- Meanwhile, combine shortening, powdered sugar, fluff, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Remove half of your filling. Add cocoa to remaining filling and mix for 1 minute or until fully incorporated.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in 30-second increments until smooth.
- Use a spoon to spread chocolate over the open end of the creme horn.
- Dip in sprinkles and set on wax paper while chocolate sets.
- Pipe filling into creme horns.