Chocolate Babka Rolls
Chocolate yeast bread! Plus ganache and vanilla icing! Do we even need to say more than that? If you're not already sold, your life priorities are questionable. These are the perfect treat to make for the holiday season to share with family...or to hoard for yourself. We won't tell anyone.
Chocolate Babka Rollsservings: 12
time: 2 hrs.
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup ground oreos
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ground oreos
- 2 Tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In a small bowl, stir together yeast, water, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for five minutes or so to proof.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together 2 cups of flour, sugar, and salt.
- In separate small bowl, whisk eggs.
- In a small saucepan heat milk and butter until butter is just melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla. When mixture has cooled to 115-125 degrees, add to flour mixture.
- Add yeast and mix with a spatula.
- Add eggs and mix on low speed with dough hook.
- Add additional cup of flour.
- Add final 1/4 cup of flour if dough is too sticky - you can add up to 1/2 cup if necessary.
- Use dough hook to knead for 5 minutes.
- Remove to lightly greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- While dough rests, make filling: melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every time until chocolate is just melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Add salt and cinnamon and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in crumbled chocolate cookies.
- Make topping while dough continues to rise: combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cookies in a medium bowl.
- Cut in cold butter. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To make ganache: melt chocolate in cream in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time. Continue until chocolate has just melted. Set aside to cool.
- To make icing: combing powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- When dough has doubled in size, roll out your dough into a 18"x 12" rectangle.
- Spread with filling.
- Fold dough upwards in fourths.
- Trim off ends, and cut dough log into 24 equal thin pieces.
- Use two slice-layers to make 12 rolls in your pan.
- While rolls rise again, grease a 9"x13" pan and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle on topping and bake for 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before drizzling with ganache and icing.
Sliced and ready to layer into pull-apart rolls!
Liberally sprinkled with topping and ready to bake.
Ready for drizzling!
Still warm and ready to eat!