Caramel Cappuccino Angel Food Cake
In this week's installment of healthy-ish baking: Angel food cake! Made up primarily of a dozen egg whites, this cake is packed with protein. Then - you drown it in caramel and whipped cream. Just keep your thoughts on all that protein.
Caramel Cappuccino Angel Food Caketime: 1 hour
- 1 1⁄8 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 12 egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp very strong coffee
- caramel sauce (we used our homemade caramel sauce)
- whipped cream (we recommend homemade - just whip 1 ½ cups heavy cream with 1 Tbsp powdered sugar and ½ tsp vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ¾ cup of sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining ¾ cup of sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in coffee and vanilla.
- Add flour gradually and carefully fold in.
- Spoon into angel food cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Invert to cool completely.
- Serve with drizzled caramel sauce and freshly whipped cream.