Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce
We've tested quite a few homemade caramel recipes now, and this is the fastest, most foolproof recipe there is. Plus, it's delicious. You can't go wrong.
Easy Homemade Caramel Saucetime: 15 minutes
servings: makes about 1 cup sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt (optional if you want salted caramel sauce)
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and heavy cream, whisking until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove and stir.
- Microwave on high for 2 more minutes until bubbly and slightly thickened. Stir.
- Heat for an additional 30-60 seconds if needed.
- Stir in vanilla (and salt, if using) and allow to cool. Mixture will thicken considerably as it cools.
- Store in refrigerator. Sauce can be microwaved to become pouring consistency as needed.